Winterize Your Home ~ Your Fall Checklist
The sun is setting earlier, the mornings are getting cooler, the leaves are starting to change color & there’s festive decorations going up everywhere! It’s beginning to look and feel a lot like fall to me. As the shift sets in and our days fill with holiday shopping and family-gathering decisions it’s easy to forget to tend to your home’s needs before the winter rain sets in. To help with this process I’ve listed some of the top things to do to help prep your home for winter.
Your Fall Checklist:
- Clean out your gutters to prevent flooding, backups and overflowing.
- Also, clean areas around your downspouts so they are clear of debris.
- Remember to change your air filters to maximize your heat output and minimize your heating bill!
- Check around your doors and windows for any air gaps that need to be sealed up with new weather-stripping if needed.
- Be sure to clean out your dryer vent, the one outside your house often gets missed and can become a major fire hazard with lint that builds up.
- Cover or bring in your outdoor furniture/cushions to help preserve them.
- Turn off your sprinkler systems for the season once the rain starts.
- Scrape any moss or excess vegetation off your roof to avoid buildup.
- Protect wood siding, trim, doors, fences, decks, fascia, etc… with paint, sealer, stain or varnish. Now is a great time for touch-ups.
- Seal up any cracks or holes around your home to keep critters and water out!
- And don’t forget to decorate for the holidays this year – we could all use some extra cheer around town this year!
Did I miss any good tips you’ve picked up over the years?
Good luck with your projects!